TCM displays TV Parental Guidelines Ratings. They are as follows:
* TV-G: General Audience. Contains little or no violence, no strong language and little or no suggestive sexual dialogue or sexual situations.
* TV-PG: Parental Guidance Suggested. May contain some infrequent coarse language, limited moderate violence, some suggestive sexual dialogue and some sexual situations.
* TV-14: Parents Strongly Cautioned. May contain sophisticated themes, intensely suggestive dialogue, intense sexual situations, strong coarse language and more intense violence.
* TV-MA: Mature Audience Only. Specifically designed to be viewed by adults and may be unsuitable for children under 17. May contain mature themes, profane crude, indecent language, graphic violence and explicit sexual content.
Each rating for a show or movie also may include a series of one or more letters added to the basic rating designed to let parents know when a show may contain violence, sex, strong language or suggestive dialogue:
* D: Adult dialogue or suggestive dialogue (usually means talk about sex)
* L: Foul or suggestive, coarse or crude language
* S: Sexual content situations
* V: Graphic violence